Joomla 5 Min Requirements Concern. Topic is solved

Need help installing Joomla! 5.x? For all Joomla! 5.x installation issues please use this forum.

Moderator: General Support Moderators

Forum rules
Forum Rules
Absolute Beginner's Guide to Joomla! <-- please read before posting, this means YOU.
Forum Post Assistant - If you are serious about wanting help, you will use this tool to help you post.
Windows Defender SmartScreen Issues <-- please read this if using Windows 10
joom-rookie
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Joomla 5 Min Requirements Concern.

Post by joom-rookie » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:09 am

Hi there,
I tried to install Joomla 5 on a live server (pLesk) and got the notification from Joomla Installer that I need to have MariaDB 10.4 or newer... my server has 10.3.

However, previously I installed Joomla 5 by using Joomla Toolkit (installed on pLesk) for a different website, which worked perfectly fine. Joomla 5 is installed and running.

Now Im concerned that maybe there will be some issues at some stage with the website because the J5 Installer says it Requires MariaDB 10.4 or newer.

Should I stop building this J5 website and start again with a J4 instead?

Thanks.

Below is the System Info from the Joomla 5 installation... as you can see, it's MariaDB 10.3:

Code: Select all

=============
System Information
=============
php: Linux vps3.xxxxxxxxxxx.com.au 4.19.0-18-cloud-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.208-1 (2021-09-29) x86_64
dbserver: mysql
dbversion: 10.3.39-MariaDB-0+deb10u2
dbcollation: utf8_general_ci
dbconnectioncollation: utf8mb4_general_ci
dbconnectionencryption: 
dbconnencryptsupported: false
phpversion: 8.2.18
server: Apache
sapi_name: cgi-fcgi
version: Joomla! 5.0.3 Stable [ Kuboresha ] 20-February-2024 16:00 GMT
compatpluginenabled: true
compatpluginparameters: classes_aliases:"1", es5_assets:"1"
useragent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:124.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/124.0

UPDATE
=======
I just tried to update the J5 installation, and sure enough, the MariaDB version check failed:
Screenshot 2024-04-19 at 12-19-34 Joomla Update - Direct Financial - Administration.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AMurray
Joomla! Exemplar
Joomla! Exemplar

Re: Joomla 5 Min Requirements Concern.

Post by AMurray » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:10 am

I don't know how you succeeded in getting J5 to run on lower-spec requirements. Still, it's not recommended to use any installer such as Softaculous or Installatron or anything similar. Install Joomla the way it's documented on docs.joomla.org.

Are you on shared or VPS hosting - can you update Maria DB to 10.4 or higher? (or use MySQL 8?)

I'd stop building in J5 and stick with J4 until you can upgrade your hosting which meets the minimum requirements for J5, noting support for J4 will end later this year.
Regards - A Murray
General Support Moderator

joom-rookie
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by joom-rookie » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:54 am

Thanks for the reply AMurray.

Normally I always install Joomla manually. I saw the Toolkit installed on the server, and thought I would try to use it to check it out and see if it's worth purchasing it.

I installed on a VPS. current pLesk version doesn't allow me to update MariaDB, however, I did find instructions on how to do it... I am concerned if I upgrade to later MariaDB version, will that affect other Joomla 3 and 4 websites?

I have done a whole lot of work on this J5 website, it is almost complete.. I really would rather not start again.
I think I know your answer.... but maybe I can keep it running as is and not update Joomla until I find a way to update MariaDB?

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:40 am

You can run more than one database server. Just use different ports.

joom-rookie
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by joom-rookie » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:33 am

Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:40 am
You can run more than one database server. Just use different ports.
Thanks for this info, It's good to know. Problem is, I don't know how to do this.. is it even possible from pLesk control panel?

Kubik-Rubik
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Kubik-Rubik » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:17 am

Hi joom-rookie,

I'm the developer of the Joomla! Toolkit extension at Plesk.

Plesk does support the latest MariaDB version 10.x (see https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/arti ... d-by-Plesk).

You will also find instructions on updating your database server to the latest version in the documentation. Please contact the official Plesk support if you need help with it.

You may check your installed version within Plesk under "Tools & Settings" -> "Database Servers".

Please use the Joomla! Toolkit to install Joomla! on a Plesk server. I've automated everything, and all settings are set correctly and automatically during installation.

Have success!
Cheers
Viktor

Kubik-Rubik Joomla! Extensions https://kubik-rubik.de
Former member of Joomla! Production Leadership Team, Security Strike Team and Bug Squash Team

joom-rookie
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by joom-rookie » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:51 am

Hi Viktor, thanks for your reply.

Yes I can use your Toolkit to install Joomla.. but as I found out, this can be a problem. Somehow your toolkit installs Joomla even if Minimum Specs are "Not" met on the server. I assume Joomla devs know exactly why minimum specs are required!

With the J5 installation I did using the Toolkit, I cannot update the Joomla installation now, and I have to start this website again using Joomla 4... I cant risk something happening, as this is a client's website.

Thanks for taking the time to link the pLesk articles. I did see that pLesk supports later versions of MariaDB... however now I am faced with another problem... if I update to MariaDB 10.6 for example, will older Joomla 3 and 4 still work completely fine? or will there be problems?

Per's suggestion of running 2 versions of MariaDB seems best... but I dont know how to do this, unless there is options from pLesk control panel.

Kubik-Rubik
Joomla! Explorer
Joomla! Explorer

Post by Kubik-Rubik » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:29 am

Hi joom-rookie,

I execute the Joomla! routines to install a new instance. Since what you describe sounds like a bug, I will create an internal ticket for it. Thanks!

As for the MariaDB version, all my Joomla! test instances (3, 4 and 5) work fine on the latest version within the 10.x branch (I have version 10.11.7 installed on my Plesk development server). Please create a backup of your server first, and then you can upgrade it via the new UI database upgrade tool.

Have success!
Cheers
Viktor

Kubik-Rubik Joomla! Extensions https://kubik-rubik.de
Former member of Joomla! Production Leadership Team, Security Strike Team and Bug Squash Team

joom-rookie
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by joom-rookie » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:36 am

Thanks Viktor,

Yeah it's a little strange how Joomla Toolkit installed J5 on a server that doesn't support minimum specs.
I can confirm that I haven't seen any problems while building the website. But I cannot run Joomla Update as it fails the minimum specs check.

Thank you for confirming that J 3, 4, and 5 work fine on later versions of MariaDB. That helps my concerns.

I've just enabled the Database Update button in Plesk, so I am almost ready to give it a try.... after I do a second backup just in case! hahah!

Thank you for you help.

brian
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by brian » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:35 pm

Yeah it's a little strange how Joomla Toolkit installed J5 on a server that doesn't support minimum specs.
Simple answer really. The Plest toolkit does not use the joomla installer - it uses its own - and that obviously does not run the checks for minimum specs.
"Exploited yesterday... Hacked tomorrow"
Blog http://brian.teeman.net/
Joomla Hidden Secrets http://hiddenjoomlasecrets.com/

joom-rookie
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by joom-rookie » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:07 am

Ok back again to this thread, because I have a problem that I cannot get past... The installed Joomla 5.0.3 through the Joomla Toolkit will not update to Joomla 5.1.0.

EDIT:: I've updated MariaDB to 10.11.7

There is no "Update" button, only option is to Upload and Update.

What I have tried so far:
Upload the Update package from Joomla.org: This resulted in failed update and the following errors:

Code: Select all

JInstaller: :Install: Error SQL Duplicate entry 'plg_task_privacyconsent.request.reminder-' for key 'PRIMARY'

An error has occurred.
1146: Table 'jtkdb_v5omi2.whhjvuwn_tuf_metadata' doesn't exist 

I also tried silly things like overwriting the files with the Update package. Overwrite the files with a Full Package... not surprised, but it ended up in fatal errors. Error stack trace page seems to crash during the "guidedtours", I assume this is something new-ish in J5.1.0?

EDIT 2:: I forgot to attach this screenshot from the Joomla Update Checker:
Says the Database Structure is not up to date. When I check Maintenance -> Database I only see 1 entry for a separate plugin, which has a Green Check with No Issues next to it.
There is no notice/warning about Database.

Has anybody got any suggestions I can try? The website is just about finished, I really cant afford to start again.. not now!

Thank you.

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by gws » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:17 pm

Make a backup with akeeba, use akeeba backup and their kickstart.php to install on wampserver on your pc. Then update it via wampserver,make a backup when updated and then install that backup on live server. This is the only way I know to circumvent the DB check.

joom-rookie
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by joom-rookie » Wed May 01, 2024 6:23 am

Thanks for the suggestion GWS.
What is the difference in Joomla if I have it installed on WAMP? ...I havent used this is a long time, I have access to another Plesk server, would that suffice?

I dont see which part of that process makes a difference to the current Joomla install? Sorry if it's obvious and Im just not seeing it.

gws
Joomla! Champion
Joomla! Champion

Post by gws » Wed May 01, 2024 6:48 am

With WAMP you can have the latest DB.

joom-rookie
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by joom-rookie » Thu May 02, 2024 1:54 am

gws wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 6:48 am
With WAMP you can have the latest DB.
I've already updated MariaDB to 10.11 on the server. The problem is Joomla says the DB Structure is not up to date in the Update screen, but in Maintenance screen it shows No Issues Detected.

Per Yngve Berg
Joomla! Master
Joomla! Master

Post by Per Yngve Berg » Thu May 02, 2024 4:07 am

Go to Updates Sites. check that Joomla Core is not Disabled.

joom-rookie
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by joom-rookie » Fri May 03, 2024 5:19 am

Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 4:07 am
Go to Updates Sites. check that Joomla Core is not Disabled.
Thats an idea I didn't think of, unfortunately it's not disabled, so that isn't an issue. Thanks though.

joom-rookie
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by joom-rookie » Sat May 04, 2024 2:07 am

The issue has been fixed offline, thanks goes to @Kubik-Rubik completely.

Thanks to everyone else who has taken the time to try and help. I really appreciate everyone.

Thank you.

Pranav1
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by Pranav1 » Wed May 08, 2024 5:31 am

gws wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:17 pm
Make a backup with akeeba, use akeeba backup and their kickstart.php to install on wampserver on your pc. Then update it via wampserver,make a backup when updated and then install that backup on live server. This is the only way I know to circumvent the DB check.
Using Akeeba Backup and Kickstart.php to migrate from local WampServer to live server while bypassing DB check is a reliable method. Ensure thorough testing before deploying to live environment.[https://ssoidportal.org/]sso id login[/url]

altea
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by altea » Thu May 23, 2024 1:21 pm

joom-rookie wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 2:07 am
The issue has been fixed offline, thanks goes to @Kubik-Rubik completely.

Thanks to everyone else who has taken the time to try and help. I really appreciate everyone.

Thank you.
Can I ask how the problem has been solved? I cannot find a way to solve without having to do a clean installation of joomla 5.1.0

Thanks

joom-rookie
Joomla! Apprentice
Joomla! Apprentice

Post by joom-rookie » Mon May 27, 2024 8:54 am

altea wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 1:21 pm
Can I ask how the problem has been solved? I cannot find a way to solve without having to do a clean installation of joomla 5.1.0

Thanks
Hi Altea, sorry for the late reply.
Im not certain on the specifics of how it was resolved, as I said Kubik-Rubik helped me sort it out.

He said the database structure was incomplete, and had to update it manually, then run the Joomla Update to latest version.

Sorry I don't know the specifics.

altea
Joomla! Fledgling
Joomla! Fledgling

Post by altea » Tue May 28, 2024 8:59 am

joom-rookie wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 8:54 am

Hi Altea, sorry for the late reply.
Im not certain on the specifics of how it was resolved, as I said Kubik-Rubik helped me sort it out.

He said the database structure was incomplete, and had to update it manually, then run the Joomla Update to latest version.

Sorry I don't know the specifics.
Thanks, I'll try to ask him.

Return to “Installation Joomla! 5.x”